Today was the 10th practice session of the Philadelphia Eagles’ training camp ahead of the 2023 season. Here’s what I observed when I was on site at his NovaCare Complex. Note: Stay tuned for today’s BGN Radio’s Practice Recap Podcast, which will be embedded right below the episode as it’s published.
eagles practice notes
• No pads today. Practice was over in less than an hour.
• Jalen Hearts Watch: Mixed day for QB1.
The Cons: Hearts got Paz down at the line of scrimmage. Hurts put a throw to AJ Brown along the left flank that went a little too wide for the receiver to let the two feet in. Hearts beat Joseph Ngata in the back of the end zone during the 7-7 series.
The good: Hearts completed a crossed pass to Olamide Zaschous along the right flank. Hearts connected with Dallas Gedelt on several under-targets.
In between: During a 7-on-7 redzone look, Hurts fired a traffic-thru pass into a very narrow window to Brown behind the end zone. The ball was knocked down by Josh Jobe in the final minute, but I liked his willingness to hit the ball aggressively.
• Eagles injury report: Devonta Smith missed Wednesday for personal reasons but returned to practice (see: Henry Raggs III Sentencing).
Nakobe Dean (ankle) and Devon Allen (calf) had a full workout. Allen’s first full camp since day four for Dean.
Patrick Johnson (ankle) missed practice for the fourth straight time after being taken off the cart last Friday.
Deon Cain (ankle) missed practice seven times in a row.
• Before training camp, we saw quite a few predictions for a 53-man roster where Josh Jobe won’t be joining the team. It’s now clear that he could not only be on the roster, but a top option for outside cornerback behind Darius Sorey and James Bradbury. Perhaps he could even be a starter in the future? That’s right. So far Jobe looks like a quality backup. The Alabama graduate broke off three passes very early in practice. One of the PBUs came by while covering AJ Brown. Another was when he knocked the ball down on a catch point against Joseph Ngata. Although Jove’s height is just average (54th percentile) His arms are quite long for his position (87th percentile) and allow him to disrupt attacks.
• Dallas Gaedelt beat Terrell Edmunds in short catch at middle over. You love seeing the “this is my ball” spirit and execution. Gedelt had a great camp.
• Jalen Carter hits down a Hearts pass at the line of scrimmage.
• For the first time in camp, Joseph Ngata saw several first-team reps during the 7-7 period. He could have made the touchdown catch had Hearts not beat him so high. Ngata is one of the most notable players during preseason games.
• Marcus Mariota hit wide-open Oramid Zacchaeus for a touchdown on the right sideline. We don’t know which cornerback was nearby as there was actually no one in the area, but Kevon Wallace may have been late in helping the top over. Or maybe the corner accidentally gave OZ to K’Von. Mariota hit a deep throw to British Covey in the end zone, but it went wide.
• I really liked OZ’s tough catch while going to the ground towards the right sideline. Abonte Maddox had a close race in coverage.
Grant Calcatera bounced off Mariota’s touchdown throw with his hand.
Tanner McKee had the ugliest pitch of camp when he hit Dan Arnold on a corner route and the ball came out pretty short and low.
• Eagles new wide receiver Johnny King made some nice catches despite only joining the roster earlier this week.
• Why can’t I love Nolan Smith? From the media after today’s practice:
“They were in shock after my surgery. [the weight room] doing curls. […] I just wanted to show them that I’m never going to stop going. And so I continue. “
“You have to kill me to stop me.”#eagles
— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) August 10, 2023
• Notable guests who attended today’s practice:
• Shout out to holden white Thank you for taking pictures of BGN today!
next: The Eagles will host a closed-door walkthrough Friday in preparation for their first preseason game!they will face Baltimore Ravens Saturday evening in Maryland.