If you were surprised to learn that apricots and peaches are different fruits, welcome to the club. Both are round, yellow drupes. But while peaches are sweet and juicy, apricots are slightly sour.
Richa Anand, chief nutritionist at LH Hiranandani Hospital, Powai, Mumbai, said apricots are known as phytonutrients and contain natural compounds such as: Nutrients beneficial to health.
“It is nutritious and good for your health because it is rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It helps,” she added.
but apricot Although it is a summer fruit, it can be eaten during monsoons if it is stored at the right temperature and comes from a good source. However, Anand explained that it can affect digestive health if it is not stored at the right temperature when needed.
apricot nutrition facts
According to Anand, it contains two 70-gram apricots.
- Calories: 34
- Carbs: 8 grams
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fat: 0.27 grams
- Dietary fiber: 1.5 grams
- Vitamin A: 8% of the daily value (DV)
- Vitamin C: 8% of DV
- Vitamin E: 4% of DV
- Potassium: 4% of DV
Apricot Health Benefits
Apricots are highly nutritious and offer a variety of health benefits. Anand elaborated on the health benefits of apricots:
– Combat chronic diseases: contained in apricot antioxidant Vitamins A, C, E, etc., prevent chronic diseases of the body.
– Improves vision: Apricots are rich in beta-carotene, which improves eyesight.
– Promotes collagen formation: These antioxidants support healthy skin by promoting the formation of collagen that protects against UV rays.
– Alleviates stomach and cardiovascular problems. It also solves many sensitive stomach problems such as constipation and acidity. It also prevents many heart diseases due to its nutritional value of potassium, which keeps blood pressure under control.The presence of these antioxidants decreases stress problem It also prevents the risk of heart disease.
– Strengthens the immune system: Apricot also boosts immune system function, maintains bone health, prevents blood clots from forming, and aids in overall health.
Can people with diabetes eat apricots?
Diabetics can consume apricots until or unless they take the drug with caution.
“Apricots are high in fiber and have a low glycemic index, which helps keep you healthy.” Blood glucose level. To maintain healthy blood sugar levels, add apricots to a balanced diet rich in protein, healthy fats and other high-fiber foods,” she added.
Anand advised to always choose fresh apricots as they are low in sugar. “But it’s very necessary to consume a certain amount, which means you can have an apricot or two at a time,” she said.
For diabetics, always consult your doctor or dietitian before making dietary decisions, as they can customize a diabetes-friendly diet while maintaining carbohydrate control.
Is apricot good for pregnant women?
Apricots are rich in nutrients, so they can be very beneficial for expectant mothers and are a good source of vitamins and minerals, Anand said. mineralespecially vitamins A and E, thus promoting fetal and maternal health.
“The presence of beta-carotene, a form of vitamin A, helps the developing baby and the mother to develop good eyesight and immunity. The presence of vitamin C promotes the production of collagen and keeps the skin healthy. ‘ she added.
Apricots also contain dietary fiber, which can help relieve stomach problems such as constipation and acidity. Abundant potassium helps control and maintain blood sugar levels.
Due to the natural sugar content, pregnant women should always keep in mind to consume in moderation. If you have gestational diabetes, always consult your gynecologist before changing your diet.
Precautions when eating apricots
Anand said there are many things to keep in mind when eating apricots.
– allergy: Apricots are applicable and should be avoided by those who are allergic to drupes. stone fruit category.
– Overconsumption: Due to the fiber content, bloating and digestive problems can occur. Also, avoid the seeds of the fruit as they are not edible.
– High calorie content: people need to keep that in mind dried apricots It’s more concentrated in sugar and packed with calories. Therefore, always consume in regular amounts to avoid excessive calorie intake.
Anand added that because it contains oxalates, people with kidney stone problems should not consume oxalates before seeking medical advice. Everyone’s dietary requirements are different, so always consult a doctor or nutritionist before taking.
Myths about apricots
Anand debunked some myths about apricots.
Myth 1: Apricots are considered sugar-free
fact: Apricots contain natural sugar in the form of fructose. Therefore, diabetics should consume in moderation and should not be taken by those with severe diabetes problems.
Myth 2: Eating high-quality apricots is said to instantly restore your eyesight.
Sunny Deol responds as follows depending on whether or not to charge 50 rupees as a fee after the success of Gadar 2: “Main Samajdar Insan Hoon”
Sushmita Sen says Farah Khan apologized to her after Maine Hun Na’s final edit: ‘You hardly ever appear in the film’
fact: It contains beta-carotene, which is rich in vitamin A, and is effective in improving vision, but it is unrealistic to say that consuming fruit will immediately improve vision, so a balanced diet is essential. is.
Myth 3: dry apricot Considered healthier than fresh apricots
fact: Dried apricots are high in calories.
Myth 4: Apricot seeds are effective in treating cancer
fact: No scientific studies have proven this. The pits also contain amygdalin, which releases cyanide and is harmful to your health.
📣 Follow us for more lifestyle news Instagram | twitter | Stay up to date on Facebook!